Monday, October 1, 2018

Bolstered by Bohol's Bucolic Beauty (Part 1)


Only a few places in the Philippines have captivated me so far, places that have left indelible marks in my heart, my mind, my soul. Bohol is one of them. The largely bucolic province is a captivating place that has touched me in ways I never imagined possible, not just once but many times over. Mostly brief and hurried, the times I've made it to Bohol have gone a long way in boosting my self-confidence and bolstering my spirit.


Bilar Man-made Forest




Whenever I make it to Bohol, I get a much-needed breather from the hurly burly of urban life. As a city slicker who's been breathing the air of the concrete jungle for so many years, surrounded by throngs, traffic, towers, and what have you, I need to do it every now and then. I need to go away from all that urban turmoil and seek solace in the wilderness of rural bliss. 

A glimpse of Bohol Strait



No, I don't hate the city; I do enjoy certain aspects of urban life—the sparkling vibe and verve, the sophisticated culture, the stimulation of social networking, the smooth access to a wide array of entertainment and shopping choices, the works. But there is something strangely spellbinding about a bucolic island life, the kind I get to experience whenever I travel to places like Bohol. 

It's been five years since I last revisited the island, exploring some of its awe-inspiring heritage churches and alluring natural attractions during a two-day sojourn. This year, I managed to go back, not necessarily for a vacay but for a work-related event. Somehow, I found a way to have the best of both worlds.


The port of Tagbilaran 










Mind you, it's difficult to squeeze in a wanton wandering in the province into my tight schedule but somehow I managed to. I needed to, I wanted to, I had to! Good thing, I, along with some coworkers, got to bowl along a few of Bohol's towns despite the limited time on my hands—thanks to some kindhearted Boholanos who made it all possible!  


World-class amenities of Henann Resort in Panglao Island











Obviously, there's so much more to the island than the destinations I'm mentioning here. Those who've been to Bohol would agree that everything they expect to see in a tropical islandpristine beaches, emerald waters, lush marine life, heritage churches, cultural landmarks, world-class amenitiesare found in Bohol. Name it and, chances are, the island has it. And I must say that, as its recent ad campaign wants everyone to know, Bohol definitely has it all! 



Wanna bolster your spirits and get the most out of the bucolic life? Well, here are five amazing things that I think are worth doing when you make it to these five towns of Bohol. Each of them have unique attractions that would spark the interest of even the most jaded traveler.

Chocolate Hills




Carry it off to Carmen's Chocolate Hills. Known to be the island's foremost attraction, the marvelous mounds, reported to be around 1,776, always makes it into my itinerary whenever I visit the province. Finding time to see them never fails to release my happiness hormones after burning my calories to have a magnificent view of the renowned cone-shaped hills that have long put the province in the local and international tourism maps.








Found in the central part of Bohol, the gently rolling, conical hills, which are scattered in the towns of Carmen, Batuan and Sagbayan, turn brown during the summer months just like the popular, bite-sized chocolates known for their unique shape, hence, the name.  Undoubtedly, Carmen remains to be the best place to see the phenomenal mounds. Those wanting to see Bohol's quirk of nature, however, have to climb the 214 steps leading to the view deck and hustle through the crowds to have a photo op with the amazing humps. 

pic name pic name pic name
pic name pic name pic name


Though I’ve seen them already for quite a number of times in the past, it still felt great just like the first time as I stared at them once again after carrying it off the steep concrete stairway. Still gasping for air, I gathered my wits and wasted no time in snapping at them. I also took a few selfies with the hills at my background.  

pic name pic name pic name pic name


Bide time in Bilar's Man-made Forest.  Roughly an hour away from Tagbilaran City, en route to the central part of the island, there's this lush, forested area verdant with red and mahogany trees found at the border of Loboc and Bilar. Known as the Bilar Man-made Forest, it has become a favorite stopover of  travelers bound for or have visited the Chocolate Hills. Biding time there is probably the best way nature trippers can do if they long to be one with nature.































Stretching to about two kilometers, the dense forest never fails to attract the throngs of tourists who, more often than not, get out of their vehicles to strike a pose for a selfie, a duofie, and a groupfie. And who wouldn't take the risk having his or her pic taken in such a dicey yet dreamy setting? Certainly, not me and my two travel mates! Geez, we got over a dozen snaps taken there while evading cars and motorbikes!











pic name pic name pic name






Under the virid shade, visitors often find themselves bewitched by the lush canopy of tall trees, forgetting that they're actually ambling on a highway. Shouts of their fellow tourists and loud honks of passing vehicles almost always bring the petrified daydreamers back to reality. Can't really blame the posers—that includes us!for getting lost in such a surreal landscape. LOL!

A floating resto cruising over Loboc River



Lounge around Loboc River. Dubbed as one of Bohol’s prime attractions, the mighty river of Loboc is best known for being one of the cleanest and greenest bodies of water not only in the province but the entire country as well. 


Visiting the old town, which was already existent long before the Spaniards came, isn’t complete unless you get to cruise along its famous river aboard those fancy-looking floating restos. 

However, my two travel buddies weren't that keen on cruising the river so we skipped it. Besides, I had already went aboard the floating resto way back in 2013. While the cruise was pleasurable, it was a bit pricey for this budget traveler. Instead, we lazed around and took a few snaps of the quaint town, including the ongoing reconstruction of the St. Peter the Apostle Church (which totally collapsed during the quake), the plaza, gymnasium, and Loboc's controversial, "Bridge to Nowhere". 


A glimpse of Loboc's town center



Loboc River one late afternoon


Years ago, the national government through the public works department built the said steel and concrete structure spanning the river that appeared to run smack into the side of Loboc’s centuries-old church.  

Obviously, the townspeople strongly opposed the said bridge, even if it would help improve the local economy. This is probably one of the reasons why it has remained incomplete after so many years.  

Loboc's "Bridge to Nowhere"





Loboc Bridge




Given that the reconstruction of the Loboc Church is in full-swing, I doubt if that white elephant of a bridge would eventually see the light of day. At present, it only serves one purpose—as a favorite stomping ground of the locals. What a waste of taxpayers' money!

Parallel to the unfinished bridge is another concrete span, which is now in full operation.



Loon's "Hugot" Bridge




Lose it all in Loon's "Hugot" Bridge. There is in Loon a one-of-a-kind attraction that's fast becoming a popular must-see among tourists, especially the millennialsthe so-called "Hugot" Bridge of Sandingan Island, which features ninety-nine blocks laid on each side of the road that were painted with different colors and inscribed with "hugot" (emotional outbursts) lines. 

Officially known as the Tajang Pass Causeway, the bridge connecting Sandingan Island to the mainland of Loon has recently caused quite a stir after it was featured in a few TV shows. Curious, my companions and I went there to see what's the buzz all about.

pic name pic name pic name



Some of the 99 slabs of "hugot lines" adorning Tajang Pass Causeway




Caveat: Most of the lines written on the blocks will bring back memories of failed and broken relationships. Some are sad and cheesy; others sarcastic and funny. Not a few are clichéd and corny. Geez, I won't recommend the spot to the fainthearted, the jilted, the spurned, the brokenhearted, the suicidal! Unless they're sado-masochists who want to relive the pain and misery of the past. LOL!

To the young ones who love to lose it, however, that bridge is the closest thing to heaven on earth. But for this world-weary Gen X-er, it's just fuss over flummerymuch ado about nothing, as William Shakespeare would put it. An Instagrammable backdrop for selfies, nonetheless. Overall, there's nothing spectacular there, except perhaps for the verdant mangrove garden that would probably interest the greenies and tree huggers like me. 

Crossing one segment of the Sipatan Twin Hanging Bridge



Segue to Sevilla's Hanging Bridge. Somewhere in the inland town of Sevilla lies an exhilarating must-see, most especially for those who crave to experience some thrill and excitementthe Sipatan Twin Hanging Bridge!

Said to have been originally constructed using just bamboo and rope, the hanging bridge, which provides a scenic view of the viriscent Sipatan River down below, now has steel cables to support its bamboo slats, thus, providing greater safety and stability to tourists who dare to trek its 40-meter stretch. 

I was a bit scared when I first stepped into the first bridge, particularly when I felt the bamboo deck bending a little under the weight of my feet. Although the support cables are made of steel, I still felt some swaying and bouncing as I traversed it. As I walked further into the middle, I gained back my confidence, successfully crossing the other end of the span and negotiating my way back to where I came from through its parallel/twin bridge. Whew, it was one breathtaking adventure that I'd gladly repeat over and over again!

Bohol's foremost natural attraction






Short but sweet, the wanderings I've made in the island province count among my most cherished ones for they've given me numerous chances to get out of my comfort zone, create lifetime memories, and expand my horizons.

All the sojourns I've had in Bohol have somewhat whetted my appetite for the bucolic life. The slow, laid-back kind of existence that's not exactly bliss to others. But for me, it is. And I get to enjoy the most out of it when I'm neatly tucked there in that crisp slice of bucolic bliss. Now, as the island continues to lure the throngs into its pristine shores, I can only wish that it would remain such an ethereal paradise for a long, long time. 😍😍😍



No comments:

Post a Comment